Monday, January 29, 2024

Tortilla Soup

 There are a million versions of this. Even though there are a lot of components it comes together pretty fast. I combined GrowingupSarita's and AbbyThome's recipes from instagram. I can adjust to whatever I'm using that day. This time I just happened to be making bone broth on the stove so I used that. 

Basic gist of the recipe:

Chicken Broth (4-6 cups or so)

Shredded chicken (about 2 cups)

1 large can fire roasted diced tomatoes

1 large can diced green chilies (mild or to preference)

3 stalks celery (can do more) rough chopped

1 large onion, quartered

3-5 carrots, rough chopped

tomato boullion

ground cumin

garlic salt

onion powder

sprinkle of dried oregano

can of beans or instant pot mayacobas

Mexican rice or just made white rice with tomato boullion

Toppings:

shredded cabbage

cilantro chopped

lime wedges

avocado slices

tortilla chips or strips 

salsa verde

Directions:

Basically you need to make a broth, you can start with two bone in chicken breasts but I just used shredded rotisserie chicken and was making bone broth on the stove. I added the chopped onions, carrots and celery. I put the tomatoes and green chilies in the blender and added the carrots, onions, celery and blended it with a couple big ladles of broth. In a different pot I dumped the blender mixture and added chicken broth until it was the soup consistency I wanted with room to add rice and beans. I added a couple teaspoons of tomato bouillon, at least a 1tsp or so of cumin and probably 1/2-1tsp of garlic salt and onion powder. Season the broth to taste and bring to a low boil. Once you're happy with the broth put in the shredded chicken. We serve the beans and rice on the side and top it with all the toppings. 

Growing up Sarita makes this by dry roasting her tomatoes, jalapeños and onions and blending those. 

Can also flavor with taco seasoning if you feel like it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment