Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Perfect Bread

I have never considered myself a baker. Pretty much due to the fact that I've never been able to make that perfect load of bread. You know; the one fresh out of a 1950s housewives kitchen. Beautiful golden crust, soft and tender on the inside, sweet like cream and a hint of salt? Yep. That one. I told a friend I can't bake bread and she gave me this recipe for bread in a jar. I've never been crazy impressed by many anything out of a jar but I had to give this a shot. She says it's no fail. Well I did and this bread is TO DIE FOR! Like you're going to want to eat this for dessert...and probably use it as your pillow too. This will be my go to recipe. I think there's a lot of leeway with it so modify as you like but this is how I love it. Makes one loaf of perfection. 

Put in a jar (if giving away) if not, put in big Pyrex bowl
3 cups flour (I use bread flour and the last 1/4 cup whole wheat)
3 TBSP. Sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast

Add these ingredients to your dry mix:
1 1/8 cup warm water (I added a bit more till it was coming together smoothly ~1/3 cup)
2 TBSP. Oil or 1 1/2 TBSP butter (I used  canola oil)

Preheat oven to 170. When it beeps shut it off. Combine the dry ingredients into a big mixing bowl (I used a big Pyrex). Add the water and oil or butter. I used the dough hooks on my hand kitchen aid and mixed well. About 5-10 minutes or until you get bored. Watch here that it comes together as a nice, smooth ball of dough. Take dough out of bowl and spray bowl. Place dough back in bowl and place in warm oven. Let rise until doubled in size (about an hour). Mix again for 2-5 minutes. Shape into loaf and place into greased loaf pan. Let rise until pan is full. Remove from oven and heat oven to 350. (My oven runs hot so I did 340.) Place in hot oven and bake for about 30 minutes. I took mine out about 6 minutes early and it was perfect. Should be lightly golden on top and make a hollow sound when tapped. Let cool slightly and remove from pan. Slice and enjoy. Yuuuummmmm! 





No comments:

Post a Comment