Saturday, February 27, 2021

Buttermilk Syrup

 This is recipe I've been making for years. It will change your life if you haven't had it. I HATE regular pancake syrup now and will never go back. I do multiple versions of this depending on sweetness level and I've found over the years as it stores in the fridge it crystalizes so I've made a double batch sugared down recipe that isn't as thick but is still just as good. If you don't want it dark just don't boil it as long. And whatever you do you ALWAYS. I REPEAT ALWAYS! USE THE LARGEST POT YOU OWN. It grow!

BUTTERMILK SYRUP: Thick original version

  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Buttermilk Syrup: Lighter and bigger version (2 quart mason jars ish)

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 stick butter
3 TBSP corn syrup (I guess)
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla

Add all the ingredients to a big cold pot and melt and bring to boiling. I start on medium and work may way up. It tends to curdle the buttermilk if I dump it into a hot pot. 
Wait to add the vanilla after you've boiled it for about 7 minutes or until it's a nice Carmel color.
Serve warm. Store in fridge and microwave when ready to use. Leave room at top of jar as it will grow a bit once heated again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment